Action Verbs and Power Verbs To Use On Your Resume
We've compiled the best action verbs you can use to showcase your Management experience.
We've compiled the best action verbs you can use to showcase your Management experience.
Being a manager or executive requires a specialized skill set and plenty of experience. To show that you’re the right one for the job, choose verbs that showcase abilities such as planning, evaluation, and delegation.
Management and executive roles are often competitive -- having concrete examples to show what you’ve achieved in similar roles could be crucial to getting the job.
We've compiled a lot more action verbs by job titles below.
Choose the job title that's most relevant to you to get targeted action verbs.
To show you how to use these action verbs in your resume, see this infographic for reference. You'll note that each bullet point uses strong action verbs, with a specific description of the task that was accomplished.
Action verbs are powerful tools at your disposal to demonstrate the significant impacts you had at your previous roles. Your program manager resume should utilize strong action verbs to support and emphasize your accomplishments. Here is a list of action verbs used in excellent program manager resumes.
It is important to make sure not to repeat the same action verb more than twice if you can help it on your resume. The more that you use it, the less impact that the verb has on the reader since you’re just describing the same skill set. For example, if you saw “Researched market shares to increase effectiveness by 15% over one year” and “Researched strategic methods to facilitate meetings, boosting productivity by 60%” on the same resume, it sounds less impressive the second time.
Being creative with your action verbs while keeping them relevant to your program manager resume is key.
• Informed approximately 20 consumers hourly of projected delivery dates, service contracts, warranties, or other product-related information. .
• Designed, created, and managed projects driving business transformation from selling base retail products to internet marketing services to the Executive Leadership Team, impacting a $1 million business segment..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Program Manager Resume Guide.
The best project manager resumes discuss specific accomplishments using strong action verbs. Strong verbs convey your role in your achievements; in any resume bullet point, we recommend pairing an action verb with the quantifiable result you achieved to show the impact of what you did.
Project managers may have a diverse set of skills to draw upon, and there are a huge number of verbs you could choose to describe what you’re good at. We have an entire article devoted to action verbs to use in resumes -- in particular, project managers may want to pursue the ones in the accomplishment-driven, communication, management-related, leadership, and problem-solving sections.
• Reduced cost per hire by 35% by implementing new employee referral program.
• Generated over $2.37M (2013) and 4.83M (2014) in social media sales across social media platforms. .
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Project Manager Resume Guide.
Every accomplishment listed (in a bullet point) should start with an action verb suited to the product manager role. As a manager, this can mean that you “led” or “coached” a team, “developed” strategic insights, or were “promoted” ahead of schedule due to your prowess. As a communicative innovator, you may have “overhauled” an aging system, “aligned” the goals of multiple departments, or “implemented” a new process. Perhaps your product assessing ability led to “reduced” development times or improvements based on the testing you “conducted”.
Emphasizing your ability to lead a team, assess a product or system, reduce costs, or improve customer adoption are all effective strategies for product managers. Always focus on your accomplishments rather than your basic duties, and hiring managers will be more likely to take notice.
• Consulted with 10 partners, 50 engineers, and 10 operation managers to enhance RW’s mapping software..
• Spearheaded the integration of indirect channels for the organization with a cross-functional team of 15 people, including the integration of finance systems, sales operations, and customer support..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Product Manager Resume Guide.
When you’re applying to become an operations manager, you should always start your bullet points with precise and powerful verbs that tell hiring managers what you accomplished in your prior work experiences.
Operations managers do need a range of skills for their jobs, but as upper-level managers, they especially need to display leadership and management capabilities. Although there are many possible action verbs they could choose from, aspiring operations managers may want to pay special attention to the Executive and Management verbs.
• Proposed and built 50 physician achievement rankings for a facility's process improvement and managerial strategic department, which we were appointed to evaluate. Experienced a 45 percent increase in patronage from similar businesses. .
• Created a launch plan and 15 digital campaigns on Facebook including posts and promotions, and grew the fan base from 25K to 89K in a little under 4.5 weeks..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Operations Manager Resume Guide.
C-level executives need drive and vision. Your accomplishments should show you as the driving force of change, progress, and results, which means you need to structure your bullet points proactively. The best way to do this is to start each bullet point with a strong action verb.
For each accomplishment, decide what skill you’re trying to emphasize, and choose your action verb accordingly. Are you applying for a role at a company that needs a new strategy to turn around a floundering quarter? Start with verbs like “spearheaded” or “reorganized.” Is the company looking at a major period of expansion? Try “developed,” “expanded,” and “launched” to highlight times you were at the forefront of growth.
• Led project to increase conversion rate of mobile app; analyzed data from 25000 monthly active users and used outputs to guide marketing and product strategies; increased average app engagement time by 2x and decreased drop off rate by 30% .
• Developed dashboards containing performance metrics for global and local senior management teams; dashboards used by 30+ executives..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full C-Level and Executive Resume Guide.
From, budgeting to ensuring compliance to handling payroll, the financial controller position is multifaceted with a range of tasks. Using action verbs that talk about each of these tasks is an easy way to indicate your achievements.
This list of action verbs is focused on the technical tasks of the position as well as the managerial/leadership tasks that you can expect for a financial controller. Using the right action verbs can help showcase your most relevant skills in a few words.
• Led the development and launch of differentiated marketing programs which increased premium grease products by +17% volume, and tripled ROI compared to former campaigns. .
• Created a performance reporting template, achieving an 80% reduction in the preparation time of standard client materials.
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Financial Controller Resume Guide.
As we mentioned before, purchasing managers must have excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with team members and suppliers. The right way to demonstrate this trait is by writing clearly and efficiently in your resume. That’s why it is important to use strong action verbs that help you illustrate your responsibilities.
If you want to streamline your purchasing manager resume, use bullet points to describe your responsibilities and include strong action verbs that explain your role. If you need some help with that, take a look below. Here are some descriptive action verbs you can use for your purchasing manager resume.
• Handpicked by global head of operations from among 50+ senior associates to lead first-ever strategic alliance project with Company in Hong Kong.
• Increased productivity by 65% through creating tracking codes for quality indicators and quality assurance..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Purchasing Manager Resume Guide.
To get an idea of what action verbs you should be using in general as a sales manager, you can refer to the list on the left. These action verbs have been gleaned from sales manager resumes, and will enable your resume to make an impression on hiring managers while also making it past automatic screening tools.
As noted above, you should tailor your action verbs to specific positions based on your experience.
• Established an in-house creative department; saving the company $370,000 per year in agency payments..
• Streamlined the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual productivity reporting, reducing review and input processes by 80%..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Sales Manager Resume Guide.
If you want to boost your vice president of operations resume, try using bullet points when mentioning your achievements or responsibilities in the work experience section. You can start each bullet point with a strong action verb that accurately describes your duties. This will not only help you improve your readability but also make you seem more accountable.
Each action verb should be highly related to your work, so you should stay away from vague and less descriptive words. Instead, check out the action verbs we’ve chosen for a vice president of operations resume. This way, you will enrich the vocabulary in your resume.
• Organized 3-day big data conference with 150+ attendees; curated agenda, promoted event, secured attendance, coordinated event logistics, and liaised with speakers and sponsors; generated $45K revenue.
• Restructured back-office operations alongside core systems replacement to reduce costs by 35% and cycle times by 85%..
If you'd like a deeper dive into this role, read the full Vice President of Operations Resume Guide.
If you have a version of your resume ready, remember to get it checked using our free resume scanner below. It will make sure all your action verbs are strong enough, and give you feedback on any mistakes you might have overlooked, so you can fix them before a recruiter sees them.
Get expert feedback on your resume, instantly. Our free AI-powered resume checker scores your resume on key criteria recruiters and hiring managers look for. Get actionable steps to revamp your resume and land more interviews.Upload Resume