What do project managers do?
Project managers are responsible for organizing all different aspects of a single project. Project managers define the scope of a project, plan a budget and timeframe, procure necessary resources, and coordinate teams working on the project. Project managers are responsible for ensuring that a project stays on schedule and within budget and for anticipating and reacting to any potential changes, issues, or delays. Project managers are often the first point of contact for questions about a project and are responsible for external communication with clients and stakeholders.
The responsibilities of a project manager are broadly split across five general phases of the project life cycle:
- Initiating. Project managers decide on a project scope and gather and assess available resources, including personnel, materials, and technology.
- Planning. In the planning phase, project managers decide the project’s timeframe and schedule.
- Executing. Throughout the project, project managers manage teams and delegate and assign tasks.
- Overseeing. Project managers communicate with project stakeholders and ensure the project is on track to meet the schedule and requirements.
- Closing. Upon completion of the project, project managers complete any final reports and documentation, including documenting the project history, certifying that the project requirements were fulfilled, and evaluating any areas for improvement.
Job Description Template
We’re looking for a project manager who has what it takes to manage multiple complex projects to completion. You will lead projects through every stage of the project life cycle, from planning to delivery. If you thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and have the ability to maintain focus under pressure, you may be exactly what we’re looking for.
As a project manager, you’ll be a key member of our team, responsible for establishing and maintaining a strong rapport with clients, contractors, and other stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and time management skills and strong attention to detail. This role will give you the unique opportunity to contribute to the continued development of internal project management and take on a mentoring role to support staff.
What does a project manager do?
A project manager is responsible for planning, executing, and overseeing a project from start to finish. They ensure that the project is completed on time and within its budget and scope.
What skills should a project manager have?
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
- Excellent time management skills
- Highly organized
- Ability to negotiate and resolve conflict
- Strong decision-making capability
- Capacity to be flexible and respond quickly to change
What are the top 5 skills for a project manager?
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Leadership and motivation skills
- Problem solving and conflict resolution
- Time management
- Organizational awareness
What are the responsibilities of a project manager?
- Define the scope of a project
- Assess available resources
- Develop a budget and timeframe
- Organize the project team
- Monitor progress
- Communicate with clients
- Manage risks and changes to the project
- Complete reports and documentation