What do business intelligence analysts do?
Business intelligence (BI) analysts provide elegant solutions to your organizational problems. They are crucial to any organization as they harness the potential of data and technology to help businesses make better decisions. Specifically, through BI tools, BI analysts can give companies a competitive edge by analyzing trends to find strategies that can enhance their business productivity.
In general, the main role of a BI analyst is to analyze data with a business lens. This entire process involves a few steps. First, BI analysts gather business data from customers and competitors, followed by working with the IT department to organize the data via data analytics and data visualization tools. Subsequently, as they review the analyzed data, BI analysts identify relevant market trends which can improve business operations and customer relations. Finally, they will have to convey their analytical findings via written reports and effective presentations to their colleagues and upper management. All in all, as this role involves both business and programming, the BI analyst is a unique career that marries technical skills with critical thinking and a spirit of innovation.
Business Intelligence Analyst
Job Description Template
If you’re a business-minded individual who loves working with data, a career at [insert organization] is the right fit for you! As our BI Analyst, you will get to take part in big projects and make important decisions for our business. Through this experience, you will also receive opportunities to pick up new and interesting technologies and hone your problem-solving skills. If you find these opportunities exciting, and you enjoy a blend of business and data, we welcome you to learn and grow with our team!
What is the role of business intelligence?
- Analyze data with a business lens
- Identify past and present market trends
- Identify shortfalls in business operations
- Discover and gather data from customers and competitors
- Write programming scripts to perform data analysis
- Produce data visualizations and dashboards
- Formulate business solutions based on data findings
- Convey solutions to managers and executives
What skills are needed to become a business intelligence analyst?
- Strong business acumen
- Specific industry knowledge
- Problem-solving under time pressure
- Critical thinking and intellectual curiosity
- Capable of persuading others
- Work well with stakeholders
- Attention to detail
- Comfortable working with new tech
- Data modelling and data warehousing
- Sensitive to client needs