If you’ve been keeping up with job search trends, you probably already know that the best place to find recruiters is on LinkedIn. The only problem is, for every recruiter using the platform, there are hundreds of job seekers actively vying for their attention. For those who want to stand out, we’ve rounded up some of the best tips, tricks, and techniques for contacting recruiters, including what to say and how to ensure more recruiters land on your profile.
How to find and contact recruiters on LinkedIn
There are 3 main ways of finding recruiters on LinkedIn. You can search for recruiters:
- By name
- By company
- By industry
Search for recruiters by name
This is the most straightforward way to find recruiters on LinkedIn, but it requires a bit of prior knowledge. If you’ve been referred to a particular recruiter or already have someone in mind, simply type their name into the LinkedIn search bar to find their profile.
Search for recruiters by company
If you don’t know the name of the recruiter you’re looking for but you do know which company they work for, you can find them from the company’s LinkedIn page.
- Go to the company page on LinkedIn — you can either follow a direct link or type the name of the company into the search bar.
- Go to the “People” tab.
- If it’s a small company, you can scroll down and browse the list until you find the recruiter.
- For larger companies, type common recruitment titles into the search bar — try terms like recruiter, recruitment manager, talent acquisition, hiring manager, HR manager, or head of talent.
Search for recruiters by industry
If your job search is a little broader, you can opt to search for recruiters who specialize in a particular industry. You can:
- Type a common recruitment title (like the ones above) into the search bar and filter by industry and location
- Search directly for recruiters in specific industries, e.g. “IT recruiter.”
This can also be useful if you’re just trying to network but want to be on a recruiter’s radar in case of future openings.
7 tips to keep in mind when contacting recruiters on LinkedIn
- Add a message to your connection request. This vastly increases your chances of making a connection vs sending a connection request alone.
- Personalize your message.
- Send a thank you message after they accept the connection request.
- Attach your resume.
- Follow up if it’s been a while since you heard anything.
- Keep your messages brief — under 100 words is ideal.
- Send an InMail message. LinkedIn Premium allows you to message recruiters even before you’ve connected with them, so take advantage of this feature.
LinkedIn message templates
Want to send a message to the hiring manager? Here are some handy templates to get you started.
How to connect with recruiters on LinkedIn
You should always personalize your LinkedIn connection requests by adding a few details about who you are and why you want to connect with them. Here’s a template you can use:
I’m a brand manager at ABC Company currently looking for new opportunities. I’ve been following XYZ Corp. for a while and have read great things about [something that draws you to that company in particular]. I’d love to connect and maybe ask you a few questions about the recruitment process.
How to build a relationship with recruiters after connecting on LinkedIn
Connecting with recruiters on LinkedIn isn’t — or shouldn’t be — just about asking for a job. To keep the connection alive, try to add a personal touch to your message. Here’s an example:
Your name came up when I was researching recruiters in the Austin area. I [loved the recent post you made about X, noticed you’re also connected with Person Y, etc. — anything that adds a personal touch].
I’ve heard great things about XYZ Corp — I have a friend who worked there a few years back and raved about the company culture. I’d love to connect and learn more even if you aren’t recruiting right now!
How to contact recruiters on LinkedIn after applying for a job
Already applied for a job? The ideal time to follow up is after a week or so, or if you haven’t heard back in the timeframe specified. Don’t be pushy, but do reiterate your interest in the job and in staying in touch. Here’s how:
Thanks for submitting my application for the software programmer role at XYZ Corp. I appreciate you discussing the role with me!
I’m happy to provide any additional materials as we move forward in the hiring process. Do you have a current update on when I can expect to hear back?
How to get recruiters to contact you on LinkedIn
Prefer to get recruiters to contact you? Here’s how to get noticed by the right people on LinkedIn:
- Optimize your LinkedIn profile. The best way to get more views is to have a profile worth visiting. Our LinkedIn Review service can help you with this by providing personalized tips on how to improve your LinkedIn page and add visibility.
- Add the #OpenToWork banner to your profile picture to let recruiters know you’re looking.
- Expand your number of connections. Aim for 500+ LinkedIn contacts to improve your search ranking and increase your chances of getting seen.
- Build relationships. Genuinely engaging with recruiters on LinkedIn beyond sending an initial connection request — by liking their posts, commenting, and posting your own content — is the key to building a lasting relationship.